When do I have to report an accident to the Police?

According to NH. RSA 264:25, Reporting Requirements: In the State of New Hampshire, any Motor Vehicle Accident causing death, personal injury, or combined damage in excess of $1,000 must be reported in writing to the Division of Motor Vehicles within 15 days. This can be accomplished by calling the Police to the scene so that they can file a report. If the police file a report this meets the above requirement, and you as the driver are not required to notify the Division of Motor Vehicles. An alternative to calling the Police is to obtain a State of New Hampshire Motor Vehicle Accident Report form complete it yourself and then mail it to the State. These forms are available at the Goffstown Police Department, as well as at the Registry of Motor Vehicles. By Town Ordinance any accident, no matter how minor, must be reported to the Goffstown Police Department by filling out a Town Accident Report form.

The form must be filled out and returned to the police department within 48 hours of the accident. The penalty for not doing so may require an appearance in court to answer why the Town Ordinance was not honored.

Show All Answers

1. What Federal and State resources are available as it pertains to security and preparedness?
2. I missed the Drug Take-Back Day. Can I drop off unused medication at the Goffstown Police Department?
3. How do I obtain a Gun Permit?
4. How do I obtain a Record Check?
5. What information will my Record Check contain?
6. How do I have fingerprints taken?
7. How do I get copies of an Incident Report?
8. How do I obtain a Domestic Violence Petition (DVP)/Restraining Order?
9. How is the order served?
10. What do I do once it’s been served?
11. What are the parking fines and why am I getting notices telling me the fine has increased?
12. What is parking during the Winter all about?
13. I just moved to this town. How am I supposed to know about all of these parking regulations?
14. When do I have to report an accident to the Police?
15. I had an accident with an uninsured driver, not my fault, but I'm being asked to pay my $500 deductible. Can I do something about it?
16. How do I get a copy of my accident report?
17. I was in an accident and need the other person's insurance company. How do I get this information?
18. I need my accident report case number for my insurance company. Can I get this?
19. How do I sign up for press releases?
20. How do I sign up for press releases?