Finance & Personnel Office
The Finance Office works interactively with all departments, to assist and provide support services for financial management in all town departments.
The Finance Office will administer the financial resources of the Town in a safe, fair, accurate, and professional manner and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws, and generally accepted accounting principles.
The Finance Office will provide timely and reliable information by which the Town Administrator, Department Heads, Budget Committee, and ultimately the Select Board can make informed decisions that are in the best interest of the Town.
Duties & Responsibilities of the Finance Office
- Assist the Town Administrator and department heads with budget development
- Preparation of state form MS2 (Report of Voted Appropriations) and MS4 (Revised Revenues) used for tax rate setting, and the MS7 (Budget of the Town with a Municipal Budget Committee for the prior year and current year proposed)
- Preparation of monthly budget reports for the Select Board, Department Heads, Budget Committee, and/or anyone expressing an interest or need in the Town's financial performance and health.
- Assist independent auditors with the preparation of the annual financial statement
- Process purchase orders, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll
- Cash management
- Investment oversight
- Negotiate loans (Tax Anticipation Notes, Bonds, and Bond Anticipation Notes) for borrowing money
- Oversight of the General Fund and Special Revenue Funds
- Provide financial oversight of the Sewer Enterprise Fund
- Bookkeeping support for Library Trustees
- Cooperative interaction regarding items of mutual interest between the Town and the Trustees of Trust Funds
- Benefits administration
- Risk management
- Provide fiscal year-end audited financial statements
- Local welfare
Budget Cycle, Preparation, & Submission Timeline
The Town of Goffstown is a Municipal Budget Act (RSA 32) community and follows an SB2 form of government. The town operates on the January 1st through December 31st budget cycle. The budget preparation is as follows:
- June - Department Heads begin to prepare their proposed budget for the following calendar year.
- August - Proposed department budgets are submitted to Administration and Finance.
- September - Proposed department budgets are distributed to the Select Board and Budget Committee. The Select Board begins its budget reviews with Department Heads.
- November - The Select Board makes its budget recommendations to the Budget Committee.
- January - Public hearing on the proposed budget and all appropriation warrant articles. Posting of warrant and MS7.
- February - Deliberative session of town meeting.
- March - Elections and voting by ballot on the town warrant.
The Finance Office is staffed by:
(1) Assistant Town Administrator/Finance Director/Treasurer/full-time (reports to the Town Administrator)
(1) Accountant/full-time (reports to the Finance Director)
(1) Benefits Administrator/full-time (reports to the Finance Director)
(1) Bookkeeper/full-time (reports to the Finance Director)
(1) Welfare Officer/per diem (reports to Asst. Town Administrator)
The Finance Director also has some limited financial control and oversight of the Tax Collector's Office consisting of:
(1) Tax Collector/full-time
- Budget Committee
- Trustees of the Trust Funds
RFP/RFQ Bid Information